Monday, May 9, 2011

Pizzicato Five

No, not pizza.  Pizz-i-ca-to.  5ive.

Pizzicato Five actually started as far back as 1979.  At a local music society meeting, two university students - Yasuharu Konishi and Keitaro Takanami, met and agreed to form a band.  They recruited fellow member Ryo Kamimiya, but would not find a suitable lead vocalist until 1984, when the band settled on Mamiko Sasaki.

(Sorry, no official video.)  Their first single, "Audrey Hepburn Complex" set the tone for their impending popularity, and after their 1990 single "Lover's Rock", they became one of the most popular acts in Japan.

Unfortunately, after establishing a legacy, the band announced their separation in 2001.  They are known throughout Japan as the "Godfathers of the Shibuya-kei scene, Tokyo kitsch-pop deconstructionists." 

Pizzicato Five features jazzy, electronica dance beats with hard rock roots.  Their songs are uptempo, with major tonality, danceable grooves and a subtle use of vocal harmony.

15 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite one so far. Keep the jams coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't know them till now...cool band

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice song, not what I am used to but pretty cool nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've definitely heard this before! Great song, and great band. Too bad they broke up, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best music blog I've seen. But man are her eyes creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puts me in mind of DeeLite for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Yeah! I love Pizzicato Five!!
    I'm their No.1 fan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This takes me to a happy place.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy the mix of the different elements, this song has in it. And the voice and the electro beats just somehow fit so good together, it's stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah still remember them from my younger days

    ReplyDelete